12 Things to Do on New Year's Eve
New Year's is a great time for renewal and family. There are many activities you can do in order to make the most of the holiday, have fun, and spread love.
Day and Night
New Year's Eve day isn't seen as too big of a holiday, unless you consider American football worthy of being called a holiday. However, it's the last day of the year, so you should do something special to get that best last moment out of the year.
- Have a party - Invite family or friends over and talk, eat, and be merry.
- Watch a party - If having a party isn't your thing, there are a few great ones on TV to check out.
- Light fireworks - If fireworks are allowed in your area, it's great to light off a few during the day and at midnight.
- Eat delicious food - Food always makes for great celebrations. Try making some great desserts and a big dinner for the day.
- Watch TV specials - If none of the parties on television tickle your fancy, there's always marathons on. Programs like Twilight Zone, X-Files, and The Three Stooges are New Year's traditions.
- Play games - Playing games with the family or with friends can help make this day fun for everyone.
This is when most of the magic happens around the world. Fireworks go off and the parties get wild. However, that isn't the only thing that needs to happen. Here are some things you can do.
- Kiss - There is a tradition to kiss the one you love at midnight. And if you don't love someone, kiss the nearest person. Yep, doesn't have to be on the lips (although that is, of course, better).
- "A very happy New Year!" - Say this at the top of your lungs at midmight. Awesome if you are the only person saying it but even more awesome if you get everyone in your house to.
- Sing - Singing Auld Lang Syne is a great tradition. But if you aren't up to that, sing your own favorite song to bring about the New Year's.
- Toast champagne - Toast the yester-year and give words of wisdom for the new.
- Eat your first meal together - It's a tradition in some countries to eat a meal at midnight. It's a great way to spend time as a family and have your taste buds salivating.
- Make resolutions - Make some promises to better your life during the new year. I just hope you keep them better than me.
Hopefully these "things to do" have given you a few ideas on how to spend your New Year's. If not, I'll tell you exactly how I spend mine:
I generally watch a marathon on TV and if not, then on a DVD. I also tend to play board games until around 11:30pm. At that time, I turn the channel to whatever one is playing a song I want to hear and watch the ball drop at midnight. At that time, I have a drink of champagne and make some resolutions. Of course, I'd love to kiss a girl at midnight but that hasn't been the case as of yet.